Menu
Log in



CLARA BARTON

1821 – 1912

FOUNDER of the AMERICAN RED CROSS

Location: 

27 56.315 N, -82 27.751 W


Marker is at the intersection of Bayshore Boulevard and South Plant Ave, on the right when traveling south when on Bayshore Blvd.  Marker is beside the South Plant Street overpass on Bayshore Blvd.


Inscription:

Clarissa “Clara” Harlowe Barton, founder of THE AMERICAN RED CROSS, traveled through Tampa, in 1898, on her way to Cuba during the Spanish American War.  In 1898, at the age of 77, Barton obtained permission to travel to Cuba, and on April 25, 1898, the U.S, Government declared war on Spain. Barton waited here, at the Red Cross headquarters, while soldiers assembled in Tampa before embarking to Cuba.  While in Tampa, her nurses received intensive emergency medical training.  Barton followed the military to Cuba bringing nurses and supplies.   The first time the American Red Cross gave medical aid in wartime was during the Spanish-American War of 1898. Miss Barton treated the wounded Rough Riders, who were led by Theodore Roosevelt.

Erected:

Erected 2018 by Tampa Chapter National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution-Hillsborough County Historical Advisory Council.


Further Description:

Click here to read a Red Cross chat article on how the Clara Barton and her Red Cross nurses served the Rough Riders during the Spanish American War.


Rough Rider Office - 813-248-1898 - 601 N 19th St . - Tampa, FL 33605  Email: office@tamparoughriders.org
© 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry Regiment - Rough Riders, Inc. 501(C)(3)  Non-Profit Charitable Organization. 
All rights reserved.  Site development by Robin Conn

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software