Menu
Log in



ROOSEVELT 
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

Recognition of  TEDDY ROOSEVELT and
the 
1st UNITED STATES VOLUNTEER CALVARY, a.k.a. “ROUGH RIDERS”


Location: 

27 54.993 N, -82 29.832 W

The marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. 

The marker is on South Ferdinand Avenue just north of West Tacon Street, on the left when traveling north.  The marker is at or near the postal address:  3205 South Ferdinand Avenue, Tampa, Florida, 33629.

                           

Inscription:

Theodore Roosevelt was the Assistant Secretary of the Navy when the battleship U.S.S Maine was sunk in Havana Harbor.  After the United States declared war on Spain in April 1898, initiating the Spanish American War, Roosevelt resigned his position and joined the military.  Lieutenant Colonel Roosevelt recruited volunteers to serve in the newly organized 1st United States Volunteer Calvary, which soon earned the nickname, “Rough Riders”.  In June 1898, Roosevelt and the Rough Riders camped in Tampa before they disembarked to Cuba.  Famed for their charge up Cuba’s San Juan Hill, the Rough Riders were brave men who were determined to achieve an independent Cuba, a goal that Tampa’s Cuban immigrants had long sought.

Erected:

2006 by Roosevelt Elementary School, Hillsborough County Historical Advisory Council.

Theodore Roosevelt School construction began in 1925, and benefits even today from the spirit of the Tampa Rough Riders.   This school of Academic excellence maintains a close relationship with the Tampa Bay Rough Riders, its partner for educational and civic activities. 


Rough Rider Office - 813-248-1898 - 601 N 19th St . - Tampa, FL 33605  Email: office@tamparoughriders.org
© 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry Regiment - Rough Riders, Inc. 501(C)(3)  Non-Profit Charitable Organization. 
All rights reserved.  Site development by Robin Conn

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software