Menu
Log in




SPANISH-AMERICAN
    WAR CANNONS

(ORIGINALLY FROM EGMONT KEY, NOW RELOCATED TO FT. DESOTO PARK,

PINELLAS COUNTY, FLORIDA)



Location: 

25 36.91 N, -82 44.133 W


Marker is in Tierra Verde Florida, and can be reached from Anderson Boulevard (Sate Highway 679) 1 ½ miles west of Pinellas Bayway South, on the left when traveling west.  Marker is located within Ft DeSoto Park, just north of the Gulf Fishing Pier parking lot.

Marker is at or near postal address:  3500 Pinellas Bayway South, St. Petersburg, Florida 33715.


Erected:

Fort Dade was deactivated in 1921, and on April 12, 1980, Pinellas County recovered the cannons from Egmont Key.  After two years of refurbishing, they were installed there on March 19, 1982.

Description:

The 6-inch Rapid Fire Armstrong Rifle was purchased from England in 1898, because the United States did not have the capability to produce a small, rapid-fire weapon for the defense of its principal harbors.  The advent of the Spanish-American War brought about the need for such weapons in this area due to the close proximity of Cuba to Florida. The installation was completed as a part of the armament of Ft Dade, on Egmont Key, on December 10, 1898.

These weapons, weighing 17 tons each, were breech-loading, utilizing shell cases that were refillable with 13 ½ pounds of powder.  The projectile weighed 100 pounds and had a maximum range of 10,000 yards (5.68 miles) reaching as target in 28.12 seconds.



Rough Rider Office - 813-248-1898 - 601 N 19th St . - Tampa, FL 33605  Email: office@tamparoughriders.org
© 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry Regiment - Rough Riders, Inc. 501(C)(3)  Non-Profit Charitable Organization. 
All rights reserved.  Site development by Robin Conn

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software